Rebounding Outlet Passing Break Drill
- The player that rebounds the basketball must sprint the length of the floor and try to beat the dribbler down the court
- Beginners: after one rep, stop and set up for the next rep
- Advanced players: go down the court, don’t stop, come back down the court before you set up for the next rep
- The player who is the outlet, call for the ball (yell – “O-U-T-L-E-T”), and have your hands ready. Be vocal!
- The player that is rebounding the basketball, attack the rebound with both hands!
- The post player that is posted up on the block at the other end of the court, sit down, have both hands ready to receive the pass, make a strong move (work on your hook and other move variations in the post), and then score.
- If there is a coach or someone else to help, play defense on the post, when he/she gets to the other block.
- Guards – work on making hard and accurate passes (ex. bounce pass, over the head pass, side one arm bounce pass, etc.)
- Get conditioned – post players should out sprint the dribbler!
- It should only take the ball-handler 3-4 dribbles to get to the other wing (push the ball out, beat the defense)
- The post player starts inside the lane, right in front of the basket, while the guard starts at the free-throw line extended (wing area).
- The post player that’s positioned in the lane tosses the basketball off the backboard and rebounds the basketball at its highest point (don’t bring it down).
- The post player keeps the basketball above his/her head and makes an outlet pass to the player at the free-throw line extended.
- Once the guard receives the pass, quickly dribble the basketball down the sideline to the other end of the court.
- The post player who made the outlet pass sprints down the middle of the floor to the ball-side post (block)
- The guard who received the outlet pass, dribbles down the court, and makes a pass to the post player who is posted up on the block.
- The post player scores the basket
- Other iterations of the drill:
- 1. Guard passes the basketball to the post, the post passes it back to the guard, the post player re-posts deeper on the block and then scores.
- 2. Guard passes the basketball to the post, the post immediately passes it back and the guard shots a 3 or one dribble pull-up.